Dear Family
I didn't receive a letter from you all this last week. I am guessing that Labor Day threw off the mail system.
I am going to include some excerpts from my journal.
Monday, Sept 7, 2009
I would like to talk about the setting of our baptismal goal. WE had fasted in preparation of setting the goal. We went to pray separately for revelation concerning the goal. I prayed silently and earnestly and before I said amen I paused for about two minutes with my eyes closed. As I did I saw a white two appear on a black background. It was really cool. I told my companion Elder Wall that my number was two, and he got really excited and said that he got the same number also! That was really cool. We met a really cool guy today. His name is Edward. We taught him a really awesome spiritual lesson. Elder Wall is really a wonderful missionary. I just know we are going to find some one to baptize this transfer. All of our key indicators are high and Elder Wall has a lot of great ideas.
September 10, 2009
Today I got my first flat tire. I was riding along in a pretty shady area. As I rode along I spotted a telephone pole to lock up on. I rode up and leaned my bike against the pole and secured my bike along with my companion's bike to the pole with my lock. I heard a hissing sound from down below. I peered at the ground and saw some unfelt unseen wind. I knelt down and realized that my tire was leaking air! I turned the tire over and over until I saw a piece of glass the size of a dime sticking out of my tire. My companion pulled the glass out and the tire deflated in 10 seconds. We were in the ghetto, sun setting, 3 miles from our home. Fun stuff.
While we were walking out, back to our apartment we contacted a middle aged man with a large plastic bag over his shoulder, which obviously weighted him down. He said, "Sorry guys, I don't have time, I'm about to get drunk." My companion responded "Well, can we teach you before you get wasted?" To which he replied "Sorry, but no." We walked back, we got to our apartment after 40 minutes of walking. We were really walking hard.
One day - Sept 13 2009, we were checking up on an investigator, we knocked on the door and someone said, "If ya ain't Jesus, ya ain't coming in!" She looked through the blinds and said "Oh shoot!" Ha Ha Ha!
I am learning so much about the gospel and the scriptures, it's amazing! Everyday brings a new experience. We have not yet found any significant baptismal candidates. We are having a really hard time getting people to church. People say they will come to church and they have a ride on Saturday. Then we don't see them Sunday, it's really disappointing.
I bought a new tube for my bike. I haven't put it in yet, but I will put it in later today. I am so excited to have a bike again! Walking all day gets tiring really fast and is a whole lot less effective than biking.
I love you all!
Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment