Monday, September 7, 2009

Elder Calvin B. Smith letter written 08/31/2009

August 31, 2009 (Received September 3rd)

Dear Family,

Sorry about my emails this week. I thought I only had 15 minutes on the computer because we were unable to get a reservation and the library was so busy. I ended up using a 15 minute express computer twice.

My companion was really excited to get a letter from you all.
I hope you got my email with the story of the other Elder's investigator - I sent it last minute. I have included in the envelope my receipts - hopefully you will find them interesting - if not, just tell me not to send them any more.

The Dirt - literally - The story of my apartment...Today, Monday, before the other Elders picked us up I decided to do our weekly vacuuming. I emptied the canister (it doesn't use a bag) and started vacuuming the bedroom. After about two minutes of vacuuming the canister was filled up again. I emptied it, and decided to revacuum the room, and more dirt kept coming in. The other Elders pulled up in their car so I had to stop, but it seems that our carpet is the carpet that just keeps giving dirt, and hair, and more dirt. It looks okay, because its brown carpet, but I am guessing it's still pretty dirty. My companion explained that right before he moved in the previous Elders vacuum had broken, so they didn't vacuum for a whole transfer or 6 weeks. When my companion arrived he said the apartment looked like it belonged to a 3rd world country, dirt floors and all. He said he was able to borrow the church vacuum for some time until he was able to order one from the mission office. I guess those months of neglect put a lot of dirt into the carpet. When my companion vacuums he usually just goes over it twice real quick. So when I vacuum I go over it a few times and empty out the vacuum. I think the carpet will be my little project this week - keep vacuuming until dirt stops coming out - ha ha. Now I realize how nice our vacuum is back home! I am REALLY gaining an appreciation for lots of other things we had back home too. We had SO MUCH FOOD! I'm not going hungry here, but we aren't exactly swimming in food either. This last month I lived strictly on the allotted amount and I managed to have $2 left on my card :~) this last month was a little harder than it probably will be because I used my card to buy a 2" notebook three ring, page protectors for all those lovely letters, and note cards with a note card case. this stuff I shouldn't need to buy again.

I have never really had to budget money before but I think I am doing okay.
Thank you for sending pictures!
Dad, thank you for your letter. You provided a lot of goo insight.
- I read the Living Christ in the MTC - it's great.
-We do receive the Ensign. You are right about conversion in the heart versus mind comment. It's like that saying goes - "No one care how much you know until they know how much you care.
I am almost done with the new Testament. I plan on reading Jesus the Christ when I finish it.
Response to D & C 22:4 "...seek not to counsel your God." Well at the same time Joseph Smith said that we should "Weary the Lord, until he blesses you." I got that from a Ruman G. Madson talk I listened to with my companion Elder Erickson. So I guess the balance between the two is to ask the Lord to help you, but don't tell him exactly how, because he might have a better way to bless you.

Speaking of blessings - How is the job search going? Honestly, I hear more about your interviews and the companies you are contacting from other people than I do from you! :~) I would love to hear about it.

Memory stick/USB thumb drive: Well, my card should last me for quite a while. Do you think I could get a card for Christmas? Can you wait until Christmas for pictures? I don't have my card with me now, but I could look to see what kind of card it is and relay the info to you. OR I could just buy one here. Let me know what I should do.

Mom, yes we have thunderstorms pretty often. If it is just rain we usually keep going, but when we hear thunder we head for cover.

I just now heard that my companion is going to be transferred! I am devastated, after I was told by my zone and district leader that we would be staying together. The assistant to the president called and said he would be leaving today, 2 days after they said we would be staying together. I was so excited to be staying with my companion, someone I knew, someone who knew the area like the back of his hand. 7 months here he had served in Greenwood. I am both excited and scared to meet my new companion Wednesday.

I hope you all have enjoyed my emails. If there is anything you want me to focus on in my emails let me know. I could focus on crazy stories, hard stuff, crazy people, my companion, ward members, weather, food....Just name it and I will talk about it. Please keep sending questions!
I would like to hear more from Cameron and Candace on their daily activities and stuff they are doing - well not a daily itinerary, but what's happening. I miss the daily family drama, surprising, I know. I also miss seeing you all. The pictures help.

Please tell me about Dad's job situation.

Oh, a ward missionary just called. My companion told her he was leaving and she started crying.
We work very closely with her. I'm bummed that I am loosing my companion 6 weeks after I met him.

At least I am staying here. That's a bit of relief, because we found that my companion is leaving right after we finished shopping at Walmart. He was way bummed out. He cannot physically take all the food with him, so he isn't too happy about that.

I love you all!

Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment