Monday, August 31, 2009

Elder Calvin B. Smith email written 08/31/2009

Dear Family:
Please do not give out my email address to other family members, my time is limited, and I can only read and respond to emails 30 minutes a day. Letters, on the other hand, I can read any day of the week, and I have about 3-4 hours during which I can respond to them on P day.

Story time:
About three weeks ago the other Elders in my district met a middle aged man in the library, while emailing and writing letters, who ASKED to be taught and baptized! It was really cool. All of us missionaries totally thought he was going to be baptized and that he was one of those people that the Lord had prepared. The Elders started to teach him everyday and he was keeping all of his commitments.

Well, this supposed "golden investigator" flopped, and flopped hard this week. -This is the story of how he flopped- Elder Bracken and Elder Perry showed up to his home to pick him up with Brother Bowen to take him to his baptismal interview. This investigator, with out any forewarning called the cops on them, and refused to come to the door. When confronted by the officers the Elders explained that this was totally out of the blue, and that they had been meeting with him daily for the last few weeks preparing him for his baptism. The cop, realizing there was no REAL problem decided to let the "investigator" and the missionaries work it out on their own, but the officer was required to write a police report because he was called out there. In the end, the investigator said, "Well, sorry guys, but I just
don't think I am cut out to be a Mormon." - and walked away. The two Elders were asked by the officer to never knock the door again, and that was that.

Another day this week I was on exchanges with Elder Peery and we had the priviledge and opportunity of helping a young women by changing her flat tire for her. It was pretty cool. We took down her information, and hopefully we will get a new investigator out of it. (we, being the district, she lives in the other Elder's area) Elder Peery is the companion of the district leader.

I love you lots, I will respond to questions sent in the letter in another letter home this week.

Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment