Dear Mom, Dad, Cameron, and Candace,
I am so excited to be here in South Carolina! I arrived in a tiny little jet, so we walked out on the tarmac and the humidity and heat hit me like a wall. I think I have gotten used to the heat and humidity now. I just go out on my bike expecting to be soaked with sweat by noon. The bike works great and I am so happy that I ordered it. My companion Elder Ericson bought his bike from Cosco, and he said that he had some problems
with it. I don't think his bike is a standard name brand bike.
Speaking of my companion, he is AWESOME. We get along just fine. He did not go to college before his mission, he left right after high school. He says that he wants to become a physical therapist. He also says that he is from Utah, I forgot which part he said he is from. My companion is an awesome trainer, he is teaching me so much and is setting a stellar example for me. He told me that I am doing well to, and that he is not just saying that to lift me up. During my interview with the Mission President, the Mission President said that a lot of great missionaries come from California, so he expected nothing but the best from me. I will give him my best. I am starting to get to know the area. We have a giant map on our wall of the area, so that really helps me to understand where we are going and what is where.
I love my Mission President, he is so AWESOME. I can tell that he expects a lot from us while at the same time has "realistic" expectations. I hope I get to know him better as my mission progresses. The first day we got to the mission home we had orientation. The second day was kind of scary. (I will write you about it in my letter.)
Wednesday I finally got to meet my companion. I just love the people in South Carolina. When we knock on people's door it seems that most people "fid'n" - (fix'n) to leave. It would seem that the whole city was preparing for some kind of mass evacuation! :-) There is a HUGE spectrum of people here, as far as where people are in their life.
It is kind of scary to see how Satan is actively trying to stop this work from going forth. During the week my companion and I taught about 6 first lessons. The number of phone calls people receive during that time is out of this world. It seems that something ALWAYS happens, with out fail, while we are giving Joseph Smith's account of the first vision. A phone rings, some one yells from across the street, its kind of creepy. I do not dwell on it, however. I am just so excited to get to teach people about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The other thing we struggle a lot with down here is a lot of people do not keep appointments. We set appointments with people, ask what time would be best for them, and when we show up they are not home. On the other hand, a lot of people are always home. My companion says that a lot of people here live on "disability". Its really sad.
I think I am finally starting to adjust to the three hour time difference. The first few nights here I had trouble sleeping. Now I am so tired I am able to sleep through the night. We ride so far and are so busy throughout the entire day that I get pretty tired. I try to eat more to keep my energy up.
I have not had time to read your letters (two of them) but I will read and respond to them today. I received your email.
Please send all mail to the mission office, with my First and Last name on it. Example: Elder Calvin Smith. Mail is forwarded to me the same day.
Love,
Elder Calvin Smith
Speaking of my companion, he is AWESOME. We get along just fine. He did not go to college before his mission, he left right after high school. He says that he wants to become a physical therapist. He also says that he is from Utah, I forgot which part he said he is from. My companion is an awesome trainer, he is teaching me so much and is setting a stellar example for me. He told me that I am doing well to, and that he is not just saying that to lift me up. During my interview with the Mission President, the Mission President said that a lot of great missionaries come from California, so he expected nothing but the best from me. I will give him my best. I am starting to get to know the area. We have a giant map on our wall of the area, so that really helps me to understand where we are going and what is where.
I love my Mission President, he is so AWESOME. I can tell that he expects a lot from us while at the same time has "realistic" expectations. I hope I get to know him better as my mission progresses. The first day we got to the mission home we had orientation. The second day was kind of scary. (I will write you about it in my letter.)
Wednesday I finally got to meet my companion. I just love the people in South Carolina. When we knock on people's door it seems that most people "fid'n" - (fix'n) to leave. It would seem that the whole city was preparing for some kind of mass evacuation! :-) There is a HUGE spectrum of people here, as far as where people are in their life.
It is kind of scary to see how Satan is actively trying to stop this work from going forth. During the week my companion and I taught about 6 first lessons. The number of phone calls people receive during that time is out of this world. It seems that something ALWAYS happens, with out fail, while we are giving Joseph Smith's account of the first vision. A phone rings, some one yells from across the street, its kind of creepy. I do not dwell on it, however. I am just so excited to get to teach people about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The other thing we struggle a lot with down here is a lot of people do not keep appointments. We set appointments with people, ask what time would be best for them, and when we show up they are not home. On the other hand, a lot of people are always home. My companion says that a lot of people here live on "disability". Its really sad.
I think I am finally starting to adjust to the three hour time difference. The first few nights here I had trouble sleeping. Now I am so tired I am able to sleep through the night. We ride so far and are so busy throughout the entire day that I get pretty tired. I try to eat more to keep my energy up.
I have not had time to read your letters (two of them) but I will read and respond to them today. I received your email.
Please send all mail to the mission office, with my First and Last name on it. Example: Elder Calvin Smith. Mail is forwarded to me the same day.
Love,
Elder Calvin Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment