(This was an eight page letter. Only portions of the letter are posted)
July 8, 2009
Dear Family,
I sent you an email today, I hope you received it. I am not sure if it was sent or not because the computers here are a little quirky. It took me about 10 minutes to just set up the email account and enter in the information it required, leaving me about 20 minutes to write. I apologize, I did not allow time to proof read the email. The computer system is on a timer, it closes you out after 30 minutes, including set up time. I decided you would rather have more content than an error free email since I am not sure if the email was sent correctly, this letter and the email might have little overlap.
I know Dad wants dirt. I didn't include it in the email, since that will most likely be forwarded to the family and technically I am not suppose to give "dirt." I have to maintain my "perfect missionary on" image. :)
Here's the dirt.
My companion is from Utah and is an English major at the University of Utah. He has a girlfriend at home who has already written him THREE TIMES! ALMOST as much as Dad has written me. :) I guess my family just loves me more. On July 5th I saw my favorite devotional speaker who said something that reminded me of Dad. The speaker's name was President Taylor, a past mission president, and he said "A day with out a nap is a day wasted." Too bad there is no "nap time" in the Missionary Training Center Schedule. My branch president is named President Harper. He is a soft spoken man who can send a piercing message with a thoughtful pause. He has issued so many very interesting rules to us missionaries.
1. No tie bars, it distracts from the Lord's name on your missionary identification tag.
2. No kneeling for prayer in Sunday meetings. Kneeling is inappropriate because we do it in the week day classes - we must distinguish class time from Sunday meeting time.
3. No standing for singing on Sunday during meetings unless specifically invited to for the same reason above. (He pulled this one out on us when we stood to sing a patriotic song for the 4th of July holiday in Sunday class.)
4. Wear a suit all day Sunday at ALL times, unless in residence room. (understandable rule in my opinion).
5. Wear a suit to the temple and never sit on grass on temple grounds. (I saw a lot of this during our temple walk.)
6. Never use acronyms for church activities or organizations. We learned this rule when someone referred to preparation day as "P-day." President Harper said that using acronyms are derogatory and should never be used in referencing church stuff. I thought it was a little funny because after he said that I started thinking of all the church related acronyms I have grown up with: EFY, CTR, BYU, MTC, MDT, LGM, LDS, DL, CS, PS, FHE...the list goes on.
I only hope that by strict obedience to both the rules in the missionary handbook (not to be confused with that "sacreligouse" name "white bible" which President Harper frowns on)... and President harper's rules, I can be the best missionary I can be. No doubt, President Harper's rules have a purpose, to help us get closer to Christ and the Sp[irt but initially the rules caught me of guard.
By the way, if you cannot already tell, I forgot a small dictionary. I will have to add that to my Christmas wish list - which does not yet exist.
More dirt:
I have adjusted well to having a companion. The first day it took some time to establish boundaries and rules for the companionship. We worked out things like - Do I need to wait outside the restroom for him? Do I need to go with him everywhere in the food court to get food? In the end we learned that we have to be able to both see and hear each other, unless one was in the restroom. As I said before my companion is Elder Haslem. We share a room with Elder Peery (nice guy, really mellow and funny) and his companion Elder Anderson. Elder Anderson is having trouble adjusting. He has trouble remembering to stick with his companion, or tell him where he is going. It is really frustrating for Elder Peery.
Yesterday was my first time teaching "investigators." The "investigators" are actors who pretend to know nothing or very little about the chruch or the gospel. Our investigator even had a few misconceptions about the church. I think the lesson went really well. My companion and I really felt the spirit and we are both sure the investigators felt it too. It was really cool how I could feel the spirit help guide my thinking and teaching. Before yesterday we had simply practiced on fellow missionaries.
You will be proud to hear that I have played the piano in two large group meetings and took the opportunity to practice during some extra time before another meeting. I am the only missionary in my district who can play the piano by reading music or who can direct music. Thank you for the piano lessons! I only wish I had access to an organ.
My hand is starting to hurt, and I am running out of time so I will start to wrap this up. How much do other missionaries typically write? Let me know what is going on in the world! Please do not email me. I think I would much rather you write because I can receive mail throughout the entire week but only check emails once a week for a very strictly enforced 30 minutes.
Thank you for sending the DearElder.com letters. I think I receive those really quick, so that might be the best way to write me if it is fress and you want to contact me quickly.
Response to July 1st letter from mom on green paper:
I received the care package on Monday, thank you, but please do not send me more food while I am in the Missionary Training Center.
I received a letter from Grandma. It took me about ten minutes and some modern day revelation to read it but I enjoyed it. (Don't tell grandma that) I sure hope you can read my handwriting.
I have learned so much in the Missionary Training Center already. I wish I had recieved all five discussions before I was baptized. I wil have to make a mental note to do that for my children. The discussions make the wonderful principles of the gospel so clear and understandable.
Response to July 1 c009 note written at 1:13 pm from Mom and Dad:
Thank you for the oatmeal cookies! I have really felt my testimony grow. I already knew the principles of the gospel, but learning to teach them to an investigator has really helped me better understand the divine truths so much better myself.
Response to July 3, 2009 letter from Dad:
I am so happy Cameron and Candace had fun in Hurricane Utah! I am so thankful for the opportunity to go on a mission. Thank you for support me! That is good advice you gave when you said "when you are teaching someone, it's good to leave while the spirit is still strong and not linger so long the spirt starts to decrease it intensity and the investigator can't feel the difference when you leave." Our missionary instructor taught us that the same day I received that DearElder.com letter from you. He said that when you linger too long you can loose the spirit or bore the investigator.
The branch president, President Harper, believes that we should model our sacrement meeting after Brigham Young. You don't know you are speaking in church until 10 minutes before the meeting starts. Luckily President Harper was merciful enough to provide the subjects weeks in advance. He strongly encourages everyone to prepare to talk for every topic for each Sunday. I have written my talk already. I hope I get to give it.
My arm and hand really hurt now. I don't think the rest of my letters will be this long. This is my first letter I am writing today. Family first! I still need to write Grandma. Hopefully putting the laundry in the washer will help me stretch myhand out before I start my next letter. I love you all. I hope I wasn't repetative n my letter and I didn't misspell too much.
Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith
PS. I expect just as much writing back from you guys! Opps, I forgot, President Harper said that as ambassitors of the Lord we should not use slang in our speech or letters,. He says that "guys" is slang. I guess I will have to repent tonight. :)
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment