Hello Everyone!
I love you all so much! I have learned much during the last two weeks and I am starting to feel that I have learned almost all I can learn from the Missionary Training Center at this time. Classes are starting to become repetitive and teachers are starting to try to find ways to pass time. (or so it seems) I guess my departure date is just in time then. I am so excited to leave the Missionary Training Center this coming Monday. I leave the Missionary Training Center around 4:00am, or at least that is when I have to be at the Missionary Training Center travel office. I depart from the Salt Lake City Airport around 7:30am. I will try to call my family while at the airport. I am guessing that I will have an opportunity to call around 6:00-6:30am Utah time. However, I am not sure of this. Note to friends and other family; I will not be able to call you at this time, sorry. I am so excited to get out into the "real world" once again. I think I have been getting "cabin fever." (both physical and mental symptoms.) We only get gym time once this week and last week I think we only had gym time three times. I wish we received the "five times a week" gym time that was hinted at in the call packet. I think most of the missionaries in my class, my self included, are going crazy being stuck inside sitting for so long. I can't imagine what it would be like staying here for 12 weeks to learn a new language. I am so lucky I only have to be here 3 weeks. Some times the missionaries in my class get so squirrely that our teacher Brother Jenkins takes us out side for a short walk around the Missionary Training Center. I think the low amounts of exercises that the Missionary Training Center diet (lots of fatty fast foods) is also causing many of the missionaries to produce lots of gas. One Elder has gas at least once every half our and does not bother to leave the room when he does have to release those toxic hazes. I think it goes with out saying, I will not be mission him as much as the other Elders I have grown close to. (laugh)
Just a side note for the family: In the health meeting we had two days ago we were instructed that we should not call or email home about any sicknesses or accidents. I suppose this is to prevent unnecessary calls and worry from parents. I just wanted you to know that you wouldn't be hearing about anything from me. So still pray for me even when you don't know what is going on.
I have been to the Provo temple twice now. It is a really cool temple. It is surprising large on the inside. However, my favorite temple is still the LA temple. I thought it was neat that the Provo temple has a whole section just for missionaries!
Things are going well here. I don't think I am going to send a letter in addition to my email this week. I have less time to write to day because I had to have my immunization records updated and a hair cut. I will be sure to write you (my family) as soon as I get my new address. Next time you write me please send me a list of who is receiving these emails, just so I have an idea who I am writing to. Please also send that addresses of any one who would like me to write them.
I can't wait to get out of the Missionary Training Center! I am hoping to get to talk to a few people in the airport about the gospel.
An interesting quote I heard during a fireside here was "The Atonement is not part of the gospel...... it is the gospel." That really helped me to remember that I am not simply converting people, I am inviting others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel, by faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the the holy ghost, and enduring to the end. ("purpose of a missionary" quoted from memory, sorry if I made any mistakes)
I apologize for any spelling errors or typos, there is no spell check on MyLDSMail.net and there is no word processor on this computer that I know of. didn't have time to check for errors
Love,
Elder Calvin Smith
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment