Monday, August 24, 2009

Elder Calvin B. Smith letter written 08/17/2009

(Excerpts from letter written 08/17/09 received 08/20/09)

08/17/09

Dear Family,

Response to questions-------->
Yes, I explained to my companion that I understand the ghetto because I lived in the ghetto part of Irvine, but the ghetto here is way more intense. I will try to send some pictures.

I don't see many straight up beggars here, just lazy drunks. One drunk guy who was smoking asked my companion and I if we had any cash in our pocket. At our confused looks he said he wanted to go buy food. Now you may write back with some smart remark to make to beggars but this black guy was huge and muscular. I just said no, and we walked away after explaining that we had something better, the gospel...and so on. My companion explained that many "ghetto" people here buy their drugs and booze first, then start begging for food. Not very bright, I know.

Thanks for the Obama cartoon. How far have Obama's approval ratings dropped? Thanks for the soup and McDonalds card! I made french toast one morning with the syrup you sent. It was refreshing to eat something different. I am looking forward to eating chicken sandwhiches from that canned chicken you sent. I have plenty of hangers. I love the Turkey Jerky! I also love granola bars! My companion thinks you all are awesome which you are. I gave him the McDonals card. He received the card you sent.

I do not live in a basement. It's a duplex.

I have been to the "Mall". It is super lame. Half the stores slots are empty. I guess nothing can compare to South Coast Plaza, eh?

The train tracks are way active, every 20 minutes, and they really lay on the horn, but we can't hear it in our house.

I am fine with the pants I have now. Thanks for the offer.

Family stuff------>
Most common concern we get from people we meet on the street and teach is that we believe in a "white Jesus." (referring to the middle Eastern looking Jesus on our pass-along cards). You see, pastors here tell people that Jesus was a black man. So we try to explain that Jesus Christ was Jewish, and lived in the middle East, and hence looked like a Jewish middle easterner and was neither "white" or "black", and people still try to disagree with us, even though Christ's skin color is not really significant. They also think Jesus spoke English. I don't know if you have seen paintings of "the last supper", showing Jesus with his 12 apostles. Well here they have paintings of "the last supper" expcept everyone in the painting is BLACK! It's almost funny. I almost laughed the first time I heard of a "Black Jesus." Someone told me that the most racist people out here are black people, and I am starting to belive it. One day while contracting people we walked by a group of drunks on a porch. One of them said, "Oh my gosh, a bunch of white boys coming in a black community to preach their white Jesus. I reckon they all will get shot." -- or something to that effect. The words were slurred together.

Dont' worry though, most sober people we encounter recognize us as "ministers," so they are pretty respectful.

In the mission home and out in the field my trainer and other missionaries keep telling me people are more scared of us then we are scared of them. At first I didn't belive it, but I am starting to see it. Most people don't open their doors when we knock, even if we know they are there. We can hear people inside. If people park near where we are contracting, they wait until we pass to get out of the car. Trained ministers stumble over themselves, literally and figuratively in their speach when we talk to them.

Minister Story----->
So we were walking a long and we saw a guy out side his house taking in his dry cleaning. (we noted his shiny new truck and Cadillac) We approach him and contacted him. He said that he would love to talk to us but he was busy. He gave us his card. He said he was a minister at the "Old Beaver Dam Baptist Church." (I guess they ran out of good names)

I called him today and asked if we could stop by sometime and talk to him about the Book of Mormon. He rambled on about he was obligated to study "the word." I asked again and he said he knew all about the Mormons and he only reads the Bible. I asked if he would accept more words from Christ. He started stuttering about how he is a devote Baptism Minster. I told him that "Mormons" don't worship their church, the prophet Joseph Smith, or prophet, and that we worship Christ and see him as our Savior. (Clearing up a major missconcepts) then I again explained that the Book of Mormon was additional word from God. He then started tripping over himself again, made up some silly excuse for not having time, and told me to have a "blessed day."

Oh well. We are still looking for the Lord's people. We don't have any baptism prospects yet.

Keep sending letters! I hope you enjoyed reading my testimony on the email.

Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment