Yes, you have figured out how our preparation days work here. If there is a holiday on a Monday we move Preparation days to tuesday so we can work all of Monday and catch more people home during the Holiday. Unfortunately we didn't get to catch many people home. It was raining all day, so we were soaking wet, and I bet that made a few people a little wary about letting us in and dripping all over thier home. One kind gentleman did let us in, as we entered into his home another man behind him introduced himself as a minister and informed us that he knew all about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We asked if he had read the Book of Mormon and he said no. He then pulled out what we missionaries call "Anti". "Anti" is short for Anti-Mormon rumors, literature, sources, etc. I have heard a lot of Anti during the short time I have been serving in South Carolina, and I can say from experience, this guy knew just about all of it. Its pretty sad that some people go out of their way to try to find degrading stuff about the Church. Being a minister - we can only assume that he him self is one of the sources of missinformation that we run into as we contact people. The biggest one is that people try to tell us that we do not accept that Jesus Christ is our Saviour. The minister didn't want to listen to our explainations and perspective, he told us we needed to do some more studying of the bible and truely find the Lord. I guess that a lot of people don't realize that we hear people tell us that almost once a day. While in South Carolina I have truely come to realize the meaning behind the song "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy" (hymn 335 I think) So many people here understand and see the mercy of the Lord and how He has bless them, but they fail to see the lower lights, that the fullness of the Gospel brings. Those lower lights are what we have to offer, those lower lights that are necessary to guide us to the entrance of the harbor, or the Kingdom of Heaven.
I know that the Lord surely does pay special attention to the prayers of His missionaries.
I know that the Lord can bless us with strength when we need it. I have seen it happen as I pray on fast days. Some times I head up a huge hill, not knowing if I can make it, because I am weak from fasting, but I pray as I ride and I recieve strength from the Lord to get to where I need to go. ( we can drink water when we fast because we are biking, otherwise I think fasting and biking would be almost impossible - especially in this humidity)
Sister Cummings called me and said that you had asked that she make sure I get a flu shot. I will try to get one to day at either Kmart or Walmart. I have found that the only way I can get a Hepititus shot here in Greenwood soon is if I cough up $45 at a clinic. Doctor's offices are either not accepting new patients or have a very large back log of new patients they are still working on. Do you want me to just pay the $45 and get the shot, or wait until I get to a larger city with a doctor's office that can accept me as a new patient - hence use the medical ensurance to cover the cost of the shot? I personally think it would be easier and better to just pay now for the shot, but let me know what you think. You can e-mail sister McConkie and have her relay your response to me, so I can take care of it sooner.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment