Monday, June 28, 2010

Elder Calvin B. Smith email 06/21/10

Dear Family,
This week we have had a lot of lightning storms, so it was pretty exciting. The heat and humidity create some really big storms here! A few days ago we were knocking in this neighborhood and lightning struck about 100 yards away! It sounded as though a bomb and been dropped right next to us- I couldn't hear for about 30 seconds after. We looked over at where it hit and the tree it hit caught on fire- the fire department came out and put the fire out pretty quick. I have never been that close to a lightning strike!

Well, I am trying to find healthier alternatives to peanut butter and honey, so right now I am going on a tuna fish sandwich spree and I started baking boneless chicken, I am surprised at how easy it really is. We have a ton of seasonings in our cupboard from other missionaries so I just throw a thawed piece of chicken on a baking sheet, put on a little bit of everything on it, and put it in the oven, pretty simple.

The funniest thing I saw all week was this shaggy looking guy in a pretty nice neighborhood putting a lawn mower in the trunk of his old Lincoln town car. He had the mower in the trunk with the handle bars of the mower sticking WAY out with the lid of the trunk left more open than closed. He tied the whole thing together with some flimsy looking string. hahahaha I thought it was pretty crazy. I guess the poor guy was just trying to do the best with what he had. A lot of the poorer people down here go nuts over old luxury cars, I guess they just want to look like they have something.

This week I am being transferred- I don't know where. We had just found some cool people this week. Oh well.
Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment