Dear Family,
Things are still going. I love being with other missionaries - we are in a 4 man apartment. We cover all of Sumter. Thanks for sending the emails from other missionaries. That is unbelievable that Dylan is listening to/or requesting "rock" music to be sent to him - I read his last email and saw some of the stuff he requested! My mission President - President McConkie told us that he was not allowed to listen to ANY music on his mission. He said that to this day he never understood why. For the year I have been here in SC we were only allowed to listen to some Motab - the more conservative CDs - there was even a list of Motab CDs we couldn't listen to. Then - one meeting - a few weeks ago President started talking about the law of Moses and the Isrealites. He asked why they had to wander in the wilderness for so long - the answer - the old wicked people had to die off - he compared that to our music situation - some previous missionaries just couldn't use good judgement in selecting spiritually uplifting music so he had to give us the law of Moses. Now we are living the higher law and we can listen to music that "directs our thoughts to Jesus Christ" and not just Motab. I thought it was a pretty cool real life application of the old testament. He told us that the last of the old generation of missionaries had gone home and now we can enter into the promised land of music. Cool Story.
My new companion is great. Our ward is huge and our area is large - mostly middle class airforce people and some really poor people.
That is so cool that you just got in touch with Trina Balanoff! How did you find them? I remember Sister Balonoff watching me when I was little - she loved listening to Christmas music year round. I also remember Lexy and getting baptized on the same day as her. I have often wondered where they disappeared to. I know where Fort Jackson is in South Carolina - I think that just the assistants get to go there every once in a while and they baptize a ton of people every visit from what I hear. Mostly I think it's people soon to be deployed who want to get right with God - so they teach them and baptize them. I hear they even have a portable baptismal font they take out there.
Oh, it looks like my watch might need a new writband - it won't snap close after the bike crash. I might send it home soon to see if there might be a place it can be fixed. I will see if I can fina a place here to fix it first.
Love,
Elder Calvin B. Smith
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment