Sunday, May 16, 2010

Elder Calvin B. Smith email 05/03/2010

Hey Family!
We had a really great week this week. We have been working with a really neat older guy named Brother Cotton. We found him about two weeks ago, knocking on doors. He is in his early 80's and he came to church with us this Sunday. He really enjoyed it and is looking forward to being baptized May 15th. He really connected with a lot of the members of the high priest quorum and he has an awesome fellowshipper. He has been taught just about all the lessons. (The restoration, Plan of Salvation, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Book of Mormon, temples, Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, Keeping the Sabbath day Holy...) He gets a lot of Anti from his family, but right now we think he is going to make it through it. Please pray for him!


I know that we are the literal spiritual offspring of God. We are God's children and I know that He loves each and every one of us. He wants us to keep His commandments so that we can be happy. I know that the Lord works through prophets to teach His gospel to us. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, the redeemer of man kind. He was born in Bethlehem of Mary, a descendant of David. Jesus Christ is Jehovah, the Alpha and Omega, through Him were worlds with out number created, and He is the captain of our salvation. I know that while He was on the earth He established His Church. He taught His Gospel, His way, His path that we are to follow if we are to have any hope for exaltation. He called twelve apostles to aid him in his ministry, they formed the foundation of His church. I know that Jesus Christ died for us, ALL OF US, a fact not recognized by an alarming number of so-called "Christians." Even more importantly I know that Jesus Christ lives. He was resurrected, His spirit to never again be separated from His glorified body. He left his twelve with the Holy Ghost, a comforter, and a guide. His Apostles were able to receive revelation while He was not in their presence, and by that necessary revelation they were able to lead His Church. However, the twelve were soon persecuted and killed, and the clearly foreseen apostasy soon followed, leaving the world in darkness, with out the full gospel of of our Lord. Jesus Christ continued to love His people, even though they had rejected His teachings and His appointed messengers. He looked for an opportunity to restore His gospel and He found one in the early 1800s. Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and taught Joseph the fullness of the Gospel. Once again God had called a prophet for His people, a watchman on a tower. Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ from an ancient people, by the power of God. It is no surprise that Joseph Smith faced so much opposition, just as had the many prophets before Him. He sealed his testimony with his blood, and now his name is had for good and evil by millions. The apostasy is still happening, lies are still spreading, truth is still being lost as the majority of the Christian world moves farther and farther from the teachings of Christ at an alarming rate. I thank God that I have a firm foundation to stand on, provided to me by Jesus Christ, His Church, His leaders, and two wonderful parents He has sent me to. I know that God continues to work today through His servants, with whom He is in close communication with. Follow the prophets, study the scriptures, in this there is safety. Of this I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment