Sunday, January 2, 2011

Elder Calvin B. Smith 12/06/2010

Dear Family,

This week went pretty good. I am staying in my area, Oakbrook, with Elder Cooper. We are both excited to be staying together. This week some fun stuff happened. Early in the week I went on an exchange down in Walterboro. I interviewed Hailey Standing for baptism. She is the 10 year old daughter of a previously less active member. Hailey was one of the most well prepared baptismal candidates I have ever interviewed! She had a firm testimony of Jesus Christ and a clear understanding of need for prophets and a restoration in our time. She is a very smart girl. She is scheduled to be baptized this Thursday, I hope everything goes well. Sadly this past week another young women was scheduled to be baptized in the Summerville area and it had to be cancelled because the family didn't feel she was ready even though she passed the interview. Hailey will make a great addition to the Walterboro Branch and I am sure the baptismal service will be a wonderful experience for all who attend.

This week I got another flat tire! Earlier this past week when I wheeled my bike out the door of our apartment I saw that I had a flat tire! It was very frustrating. After pumping it up and checking the tire pressure over the course of 5 minutes we determined that it was a slow leak and would give me enough time to bike down to a store to buy a tube and bike back. We were able to switch it out ok. Its sad how much a pin sized hole in a tube can disturb the work of the Lord.

Saturday night Elder Cooper and I were a few miles from home when we tried to see a less active member. We knocked on the door and an older gentleman opened the door and said, "Now isn't a good time." When we told him who we were looking for he said that he was the man, but he didn't have time. So we wished him a Merry Christmas and tried to contact some of his neighbors, who were not interested. I got the feeling that this wasn't where we need to be, and that maybe we could find some one some where else. So we looked at our map and picked a mobile home park that we thought might have some good people to talk to in it. We prayed about it and the thought came across my mind, well, we could just knock some door around our home. Then I saw the location where we should knock in my mind's eye. When we concluded the prayer I talked about it and we went to where I felt impressed to knock. Knocking next to our home didn't seem to make much sense, surely it has been knocked by dozens of missionaries before us. We locked up our bikes in an area next to our home and the second door we knocked on we were invited right on in. The couple had moved in recently and were very interested in our message. We taught them about the restoration of Christ's gospel and the importance of it in our time. The wife was very impressed by the whole experience, but the husband seemed less enthused. We invited them out to church and the Christmas fireside broad cast the next day and the wife seemed to really want to go, but the husband said, "We will talk about it." They didn't come to church or the broadcast, but they invited us to stop by again this week. Hopefully we can capture the husband's interest. We were really glad that we found that wonderful family, and we are excited to keep working with them in the near future. Its amazing how the Lord was able to lead us to those who the Lord knew would be receptive to our message. The Holy Ghost is like our own personal Liahona.

I hope everything is going well.

I received the ensign, the advent calender, the singulair and symbicort, and I got the package with the goodies and albuterol. Thank you! I think Mr. Mac ships UPS, instead of the United States Postal Service, so it can't be forwarded to my address for free. If that is the case, I will probably get the package at the Christmas Zone Conference in two weeks. Thanks again!

Love,
Elder Calvin Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment