Sunday, January 2, 2011

Elder Calvin B. Smith 12/20/2010 Email

Dear Family,

This week has been amazing! John Skarrit was baptized Saturday and confirmed Sunday. We are so happy for him and his family. Elder Cooper got to perform the baptism, I feel like I have reached a major benchmark in my role as his trainer, I am so happy. This week in zone conference President McConkie announced that we would be adding another tool to our tool bag. Usually when he says that it means that we get trained on another way to tweak the missionary lessons or the way we do things to help us baptize more. Inside the room I could feel everyone inhale as we waited to hear President's next great idea. He announced, "We are now going to allow you to text message." There was silent cheering among the missionaries, I looking around and I could see that many missionaries were struggling to contain their excitement. hahaha. No one objected to adding that tool to the tool bag. So far it has actually really helped us to reach a few more people. Friday, before John Skarrit's baptism we sent one message to ten people about the baptism. Within 15 seconds we had three replies. The amazing thing is that one of the people that replied had never answered any of our telephone calls before. Because the text message was less confrontational than a telephone call, he felt more comfortable replying to the text message where as before he didn't even answer his phone. I don't expect that text messaging will totally revolutionize missionary work, but it will help extend our reach to just a few more people who otherwise may not talk to us.


We had Christmas zone conference this week. We had it at an old Southern plantation owned by President Evans in Monk's corner. It was really cool. We had a little bit of training in the beginning then an awesome lunch. Afterward many chose to play football. I'm not big on sports. So, with permission, I went with a few other missionaries and walked around the grounds. That place is HUGE! They had 13 large ponds there loaded with fish. President Evans raises fish for a hobie. There were some cool trails and lots of forest around his home. President Evans' grandson showed us where a small bear had marked a tree and some cool things about the area. We had a talent show in which Elder Cooper and I did a rap about missionary work. I came up with the lyrics one night after planning. Elder Cooper did all the beat boxing. It went something like this:

"Let me introduce you to the Oakbrook district
We are so happy that we are totally ballistic
Elder Haslem Elder Stevens
making the dream team
They are going ghetto stompin
Its deer jerky that they're chompin
They are down in Walterboro
Its thirty above zero
They are biking for the Lord
The Gospel is their sword
----beat box solo by Elder Cooper---

Elder Smith and Elder Cooper
We're just really super
Down here in oakbrook
We're living by the book

(zone leaders)
Elder Ernst and Elder Peery
They are really Cheery
They show their love for their zone
by the respect that they've shown

(Assistants)
Elder Taylor Elder Cowan
Its baptism that they're plowan
They plant the seed
For us to succeed

We love our President
We think its really evident
By how hard we work
We can not Shirk"

This week a little after Elder Peery our zone leader interviewed John Skarrit for baptism we walked down the stairs of the apartment complex and unlocked our bikes. A little 8 year old girl jumped on my bike and demanded that I let her ride it. I wasn't letting that bike go anywhere, I know there was no catching her on foot if she decided to take that bike for a joy ride. I didn't let my hands off that bike. Once she figured she couldn't go anywhere on my bike she jumped off and snagged my helmet off my handle bars and ran for the jungle gym. I couldn't believe it! I have never been robbed by anyone yet on my mission and I was just robbed by an 8 year old girl! I refused to chase after her because I knew it would look really bad if any one saw. I tried every thing to get that helmet back. I asked other kids to get it back for me. I tried to trade her a pass-a-long card for the helmet, she wouldn't give it back. She stood on the jungle gym demanding that I give her money for my own helmet. I couldn't go anywhere with out my helmet, and I didn't want to buy another one, a helmet like that costs about $20 and I didn't want to pay for something that was already mine. I was stubborn, and so was she. Elder Peery finally caved in and paid the girl a dollar for my helmet. Her parents were no where to be seen. At the exchange Elder Peery told the girl, "I hope you get coal in your stocking from Santa." haha At that, we rode away. I offered to pay Elder Peery back, but he refused saying it was a cheep price to pay for a good memory.

Thanks for the packages! I love the cookies and the church music is awesome! Thank you for the many presents! Don't worry, I haven't opened them yet. The fudge is amazing mom! I am sharing it with my companion and he loves it too!

Have a Merry Christmas! I wish you all could be here with me sharing the experiences and the restored gospel of Jesus Christ while celebrating the birth of Christ!

Love,
Elder Calvin Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment