Saturday, January 2, 2010

Elder Calvin B. Smith email 12/07/09

Dear Family,
It sounds like things are going pretty well, I am happy for you all.

Things are going very well here too. This Saturday my district leader and his companion had two baptisms, it was really awesome. Right now my companion and I have a few people in the scopes for baptism. These last two weeks we have focused on building up a teaching pool. Now we have our teaching pool of about 7 different people and I think that 5 of those people are pretty solid right now. I just hope that everything works out. I think the biggest struggle is just getting people to church, we are doing everything we can to get people to church, we see them or talk to them just about everyday, remind them, arrange rides, and things just don't work out for what ever reason. We had one new person with us at church yesturday name Fed, he is a really cool guy. He said that he really enjoyed church and how we explained stuff pretty simply, unlike the church he ussually attends. He told us that he would come back, just not next Sunday because he wanted to attend his church next Sunday. His daughter seemed really excited to attend church with us when we talked to her earlier last week but Sunday she had to watch four kids for her sibblings during our church time and she didn't want to bring them all to church. We tried to explain that
our church is a family church and that other people bring their kids too, but she declined and did not come to church Sunday. We hope to get her to church this coming Sunday.

We met a really neat person yesturday, we really think she is ready to be baptized, all she needs is the lessons. We do not yet know of any major concerns or stumbling blocks in her path to baptism. We met her while we were tracting yesturday, she was raking leaves. We asked her if we could help her out and she said something along the lines of "Oh I just love it when you guys offer to help out, you guys are just so awesome, my step son is actually doing what you guys are doing in Las Vegas." Not recognizing her from church, and being new to the area, we asked her if she attended church with the Summerville ward, she said that she had always wanted to go, but she felt that she didn't know enough to go, saying that she was not a member. Because she was busy raking leaves we offered to help her, in hopes that we could teach her while we raked her leaves. She said that raking leaves was her "therapy" and that it would only take her about 45 minutes, declining our offer. We remembered that there was a Christmas fireside broadcast that night at 8pm so we invited her to attend. She asked her daughter if she would like to go and she said yes! We met them at the Christmas fireside broadcast and they seemed to really enjoy it. We are excited to continue working with them during this week.

Did you all see the Christmas fireside broadcast? I really enjoyed the first song sung at the broadcast, it was amazing! I was really hoping that they would have a really awesome closing song- but it was just ok.

It is getting cooler in South Carolina, the humidity really makes the temperature seem colder than it really is, its kind of weird. Ussually when you think of humidity you think of it making the high temperatures seem hotter than they really are. I am realizing that the humidity here gives the cold a real "bite", so to speak.

I hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving! I can't believe how fast time is flying! On the drive to the library one of the other Elders mentioned that phone calls home are only about two weeks away, I don't know what to talk about.

Love,
Elder Calvin Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment